What is involved in Data Management
Find out what the related areas are that Data Management connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Data Management thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Enterprise Metadata Management journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Enterprise Metadata Management leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Data Management related domains to cover and 400 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Data Management, Data mart, Reference data, Data quality assurance, Postal code, Data asset, Extract, transform, load, Database management system, Information architecture, Data integrity, Knowledge management, Identity theft, Information Lifecycle Management, Data access, CRM software, Data retention, Information repository, ERP software, Data steward, Data erasure, Data maintenance, Competence Center Corporate Data Quality, Data curation, Enterprise content management, Telephone number, Performance report, Data privacy, Data enrichment, Data Management, Marketing operations, Machine-Readable Documents, Enterprise architecture, Document management system, Digital preservation, Data mining, Random access, Data integration, Master data management, Data governance, Metadata publishing, Data proliferation, Data analysis, Relational database, Data cleansing, System integration, Information ladder, Hierarchical storage management, Computer data storage, Information design, Information system, Big data, Document management, Management fad, Data modeling, Records management, Business intelligence, Corporate Data Quality Management, Metadata discovery, Business continuity planning, Data architecture, Data processing, Database administration, Open data, Data security, Identity management, Data warehouse, Data management plan, Customer data integration, Information management, Data theft, Controlled vocabulary, Data quality:
Data Management Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Data Management planning and grade techniques for implementing Data Management controls.
– Are the data and associated software produced and/or used in the project discoverable (and readily located), identifiable by means of a standard identification mechanism (e.g. digital object identifier)?
– What will be the policies for data sharing and public access (including provisions for protection of privacy, confidentiality, security, intellectual property rights and other rights as appropriate)?
– Are there any data with specific security or regulatory concerns with sharing (e.g. classified information or handling requirements), and how will they be addressed?
– How (i.e., media) and where (i.e., location(s)) will the data be stored and who is responsible for it?
– What is the relationship between the data you are collecting and the existing data?
– Does your project or program have a specific repository for your data?
– Are there any specific requirements for sharing or storing the data?
– What are the effects software updates have on later data access?
– How long will the data be kept beyond the life of the project?
– What are the implications of tracking/monitoring data access?
– Which datasets are likely to be reused in future research?
– How are you addressing any ethical or privacy issues?
– How will the data be shared with other stakeholders?
– What is the process for gaining access to your data?
– Where and on what media will you store the data?
– What data are not included at the basic level?
– How should data be cited when used?
– Who will have access to the data?
– What form will the metadata take?
Data mart Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Data mart projects and report on developing an effective Data mart strategy.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Data Management forward?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Data Management been identified and analyzed?
– What is the purpose of data warehouses and data marts?
– Why are Data Management skills important?
Reference data Critical Criteria:
Shape Reference data management and proactively manage Reference data risks.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your Data Management strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– To what extent does management recognize Data Management as a tool to increase the results?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Data Management processes?
Data quality assurance Critical Criteria:
Align Data quality assurance issues and look at the big picture.
– How do we Identify specific Data Management investment and emerging trends?
– What will drive Data Management change?
Postal code Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Postal code projects and catalog Postal code activities.
– What management system can we use to leverage the Data Management experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– For your Data Management project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Data Management process?
Data asset Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Data asset strategies and customize techniques for implementing Data asset controls.
– What are the particular research needs of your organization on big data analytics that you find essential to adequately handle your data assets?
– Is there a catalog of all data assets that will be used or stored in the cloud environment?
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Data Management project manager?
– Who will provide the final approval of Data Management deliverables?
– How do we go about Securing Data Management?
Extract, transform, load Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect Extract, transform, load issues and point out Extract, transform, load tensions in leadership.
– Do the Data Management decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Is the Data Management organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– How can we improve Data Management?
Database management system Critical Criteria:
Gauge Database management system strategies and question.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Data Management does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Data Management leaders?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Data Management project?
– What database management systems have been implemented?
Information architecture Critical Criteria:
Drive Information architecture visions and customize techniques for implementing Information architecture controls.
– How important are hard measurements that show return on investment compared to soft measurements that demonstrate customer satisfaction and public perception?
– Top-down architecture is about determining the right questions to ask e.g. What are the major categories that should drive a taxonomy?
– Can we ensure that staff will have access to all the information they need to perform their work in a timely manner?
– How does one design a sites information architecture so that findability is balanced with discoverability?
– Are users employing different labels or looking for information that does not exist on your site?
– What are the risks if everyone on the project has full permissions on all of the information?
– What are the best practices for implementing an internal site search?
– What types of content should and should not be part of the site?
– Is the Information access compliant with FOIA and Privacy Act?
– Should you organize by topic, by task, or by audience?
– Why is information architecture important for seo?
– Is it bad or good to have duplicate menu items?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– Who are the people that will use your site?
– Have any metadata methods been identified?
– Is there a prescriptive navigation scheme?
– How is hierarchical drill-down revealed?
– Can it feel like browsing the shelves ?
– How is search zone indexing set up?
– Is it obvious where links lead you?
Data integrity Critical Criteria:
Probe Data integrity goals and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Data integrity results.
– Integrity/availability/confidentiality: How are data integrity, availability, and confidentiality maintained in the cloud?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Data Management goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Data Management opportunities costing us money?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Data Management move?
– Can we rely on the Data Integrity?
– Data Integrity, Is it SAP created?
Knowledge management Critical Criteria:
Frame Knowledge management goals and budget for Knowledge management challenges.
– Learning Systems Analysis: once one has a good grasp of the current state of the organization, there is still an important question that needs to be asked: what is the organizations potential for developing and changing – in the near future and in the longer term?
– What best practices in knowledge management for Service management do we use?
– When is Knowledge Management Measured?
– How is Knowledge Management Measured?
Identity theft Critical Criteria:
Grade Identity theft tasks and devise Identity theft key steps.
– Identity theft could also be an inside job. Employees at big companies that host e-mail services have physical access to e-mail accounts. How do you know nobodys reading it?
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Data Management process?
– How do we know that any Data Management analysis is complete and comprehensive?
Information Lifecycle Management Critical Criteria:
Debate over Information Lifecycle Management tasks and cater for concise Information Lifecycle Management education.
– Does Data Management analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– Have all basic functions of Data Management been defined?
– How much does Data Management help?
Data access Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Data access planning and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Data access is getting what it needs.
– Have internal procedural controls been established to manage user data access, including security screenings, training, and confidentiality agreements required for staff with pii access privileges?
– What impact would the naming conventions and the use of homegrown software have on later data access?
– What are the data access requirements for standard file, message, and data management?
– What should be our public authorities policy with regards to data access?
– How will you know that the Data Management project has been successful?
– What impact would the naming conventions have on later data access?
– How are data accessed?
CRM software Critical Criteria:
Differentiate CRM software tasks and clarify ways to gain access to competitive CRM software services.
– Is there an organized user group specifically for the CRM software?
– What are all of our Data Management domains and what do they do?
– What are the long-term Data Management goals?
Data retention Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Data retention tactics and plan concise Data retention education.
– Traditional data protection principles include fair and lawful data processing; data collection for specified, explicit, and legitimate purposes; accurate and kept up-to-date data; data retention for no longer than necessary. Are additional principles and requirements necessary for IoT applications?
– What is the purpose of Data Management in relation to the mission?
Information repository Critical Criteria:
Chat re Information repository visions and oversee implementation of Information repository.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Data Management strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Is Data Management Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
– How do we keep improving Data Management?
ERP software Critical Criteria:
Drive ERP software issues and balance specific methods for improving ERP software results.
– What ERP software has B2B B2C eCommerce WebStore Integration?
– How can skill-level changes improve Data Management?
Data steward Critical Criteria:
Map Data steward planning and test out new things.
– Have data stewards (e.g.,program managers) responsible for coordinating data governance activities been identified and assigned to each specific domain of activity?
– Will Data Management deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– Is Supporting Data Management documentation required?
– Other data stewards?
Data erasure Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Data erasure management and look at the big picture.
– How do senior leaders actions reflect a commitment to the organizations Data Management values?
– How important is Data Management to the user organizations mission?
– What business benefits will Data Management goals deliver if achieved?
Data maintenance Critical Criteria:
Administer Data maintenance governance and assess what counts with Data maintenance that we are not counting.
– Is there any existing Data Management governance structure?
– How will you measure your Data Management effectiveness?
– What are current Data Management Paradigms?
Competence Center Corporate Data Quality Critical Criteria:
Tête-à-tête about Competence Center Corporate Data Quality planning and differentiate in coordinating Competence Center Corporate Data Quality.
– Do we monitor the Data Management decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– When a Data Management manager recognizes a problem, what options are available?
Data curation Critical Criteria:
Review Data curation management and attract Data curation skills.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your Data Management project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Why is Data Management important for you now?
Enterprise content management Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on Enterprise content management risks and define what do we need to start doing with Enterprise content management.
– Does Data Management include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– Which customers cant participate in our Data Management domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– How can the value of Data Management be defined?
Telephone number Critical Criteria:
Consult on Telephone number engagements and ask what if.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Data Management services/products?
– Which individuals, teams or departments will be involved in Data Management?
– Are accountability and ownership for Data Management clearly defined?
Performance report Critical Criteria:
Have a round table over Performance report decisions and integrate design thinking in Performance report innovation.
– Do we obtain it performance reports illustrating the value of it from a business driver perspective (Customer Service, cost, agility, quality, etc.)?
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Data Management moving forward?
– Are assumptions made in Data Management stated explicitly?
Data privacy Critical Criteria:
Reason over Data privacy goals and point out Data privacy tensions in leadership.
– Are stakeholders, including eligible students or students parents, regularly notified about their rights under applicable federal and state laws governing data privacy?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Data Management study?
– Will the GDPR set up a one-stop-shop for data privacy regulation?
– How would one define Data Management leadership?
Data enrichment Critical Criteria:
Reconstruct Data enrichment outcomes and catalog Data enrichment activities.
– Is Data Management dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
– What is Effective Data Management?
Data Management Critical Criteria:
Adapt Data Management failures and tour deciding if Data Management progress is made.
– Is it necessary only to make the metadata discoverable, with links to the data files, or is deeper support for manipulating the data needed?
– If data are stored in an unusual or not generally accessible format, will they be converted to a more common format for storage or sharing?
– In situations where data can never be released or shared, what explanation or justification should be provided for not sharing data?
– Does the original data collector/ creator/ principal owner retain the right to use the data before opening it up to wider use?
– What procedures does your intended long-term data storage facility have in place for preservation and backup?
– Will security and access codes be retained on archived data after the project?
– Who will manage and administer the stored or archived data?
– File availability is the assigned external file available?
– Where will the data and data management plan be stored?
– Who will need to view documents (sales & production)?
– How will you create a de-identified copy of the data?
– What is the configuration of the information?
– Are there any restrictions on sharing data?
– What products do you want me to support?
– Is the dataset covered by copyright?
– How/who will create metadata?
– Who created it?
Marketing operations Critical Criteria:
Detail Marketing operations decisions and perfect Marketing operations conflict management.
Machine-Readable Documents Critical Criteria:
Debate over Machine-Readable Documents tasks and get out your magnifying glass.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing Data Management? There might be some that are less obvious?
Enterprise architecture Critical Criteria:
Pilot Enterprise architecture goals and get going.
– With the increasing adoption of cloud computing do you think enterprise architecture as a discipline will become more or less important to us and why?
– Does Data Management create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Enterprise architecture planning. how does it align with to the to be architecture?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Data Management that make it risky?
– How does the standard fit into the Federal Enterprise Architecture (FEA)?
– Are Enterprise JavaBeans still relevant for enterprise architectures?
– Are software assets aligned with the agency enterprise architecture?
– Are the levels and focus right for TOGAF enterprise architecture?
– Are software assets aligned with the organizations enterprise architecture?
– Is There a Role for Patterns in Enterprise Architecture?
– What is the value of mature Enterprise Architecture?
– Why Should we Consider Enterprise Architecture?
– What is an Enterprise Architecture?
– What Is Enterprise Architecture?
– Is the scope of Data Management defined?
– Why Enterprise Architecture?
Document management system Critical Criteria:
Rank Document management system goals and grade techniques for implementing Document management system controls.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Data Management?
– Think about the functions involved in your Data Management project. what processes flow from these functions?
Digital preservation Critical Criteria:
Look at Digital preservation quality and define what do we need to start doing with Digital preservation.
– Have you identified your Data Management key performance indicators?
– Who needs to know about Data Management ?
– Why should we adopt a Data Management framework?
Data mining Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Data mining strategies and reduce Data mining costs.
– Do you see the need to clarify copyright aspects of the data-driven innovation (e.g. with respect to technologies such as text and data mining)?
– What types of transactional activities and data mining are being used and where do we see the greatest potential benefits?
– What is the difference between Data Analytics Data Analysis Data Mining and Data Science?
– What is the difference between business intelligence business analytics and data mining?
– Is business intelligence set to play a key role in the future of Human Resources?
– What programs do we have to teach data mining?
Random access Critical Criteria:
Detail Random access results and describe the risks of Random access sustainability.
– How can you measure Data Management in a systematic way?
Data integration Critical Criteria:
Define Data integration adoptions and oversee Data integration management by competencies.
– Can we add value to the current Data Management decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– In which area(s) do data integration and BI, as part of Fusion Middleware, help our IT infrastructure?
– Which Oracle Data Integration products are used in your solution?
Master data management Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Master data management strategies and spearhead techniques for implementing Master data management.
– What are some of the master data management architecture patterns?
– Why should we use or invest in a Master Data Management product?
– What Is Master Data Management?
Data governance Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Data governance governance and summarize a clear Data governance focus.
– Does the organization regularly review and revise its data content management policies to assure that only those data necessary for meeting the needs described above are collected and/or maintained?
– Is there an existing data element or combination of data elements that can answer the same question that the proposed new data element is meant to address?
– Is collecting this data element the most efficient way to influence practice, policy, or research?
– Is collecting this data element the most efficient way to influence practice policy, or research?
– What will be the data governance mechanisms (i.e. how will decisions be made and monitored)?
– How is the organization kept informed of information/data governance issues or decisions?
– Can this data be replaced by a better source of data elsewhere or replace other data?
– How can your data be protected from both authorized and unauthorized access?
– Can it be used to validate data or does it need validation performed on it?
– Standards evaluation -are there standards to be adhered to or created?
– How can we improve data sharing methodologies between departments?
– At what level is it appropriate to maintain a new data element?
– Who should decide the length of a data field in a new system?
– Is data subject to legislative oversight or mandates?
– What happens to projects after they are completed?
– What are the key objectives of your organization?
– How can data governance be implemented?
– Who owns the data that is collected?
– What entity do you represent?
– How do they help search?
Metadata publishing Critical Criteria:
Discourse Metadata publishing engagements and balance specific methods for improving Metadata publishing results.
– Will Data Management have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
Data proliferation Critical Criteria:
Jump start Data proliferation strategies and pioneer acquisition of Data proliferation systems.
– Do those selected for the Data Management team have a good general understanding of what Data Management is all about?
– Are there Data Management Models?
Data analysis Critical Criteria:
Probe Data analysis strategies and sort Data analysis activities.
– What are some real time data analysis frameworks?
Relational database Critical Criteria:
Mix Relational database issues and achieve a single Relational database view and bringing data together.
– Can we describe the data architecture and relationship between key variables. for example, are data stored in a spreadsheet with one row for each person/entity, a relational database, or some other format?
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Data Management workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– How do we make it meaningful in connecting Data Management with what users do day-to-day?
Data cleansing Critical Criteria:
Sort Data cleansing goals and oversee implementation of Data cleansing.
– Is there an ongoing data cleansing procedure to look for rot (redundant, obsolete, trivial content)?
System integration Critical Criteria:
Communicate about System integration strategies and explore and align the progress in System integration.
– Are there any easy-to-implement alternatives to Data Management? Sometimes other solutions are available that do not require the cost implications of a full-blown project?
– How do you address back-end system integration?
Information ladder Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Information ladder engagements and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Information ladder services.
– Think about the people you identified for your Data Management project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– What are the disruptive Data Management technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
Hierarchical storage management Critical Criteria:
Guide Hierarchical storage management failures and figure out ways to motivate other Hierarchical storage management users.
Computer data storage Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Computer data storage visions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Computer data storage.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Data Management effort?
Information design Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Information design failures and oversee implementation of Information design.
– What are the best places schools to study data visualization information design or information architecture?
– What is our formula for success in Data Management ?
Information system Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for Information system visions and find the ideas you already have.
– Have we developed a continuous monitoring strategy for the information systems (including monitoring of security control effectiveness for system-specific, hybrid, and common controls) that reflects the organizational Risk Management strategy and organizational commitment to protecting critical missions and business functions?
– On what terms should a manager of information systems evolution and maintenance provide service and support to the customers of information systems evolution and maintenance?
– Has your organization conducted a cyber risk or vulnerability assessment of its information systems, control systems, and other networked systems?
– Would an information systems (is) group with more knowledge about a data production process produce better quality data for data consumers?
– What does the customer get from the information systems performance, and on what does that depend, and when?
– Why Learn About Security, Privacy, and Ethical Issues in Information Systems and the Internet?
– What are information systems, and who are the stakeholders in the information systems game?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Data Management processes of our organization?
– How secure -well protected against potential risks is the information system ?
– Is unauthorized access to information held in information systems prevented?
– What does integrity ensure in an information system?
– Is authorized user access to information systems ensured?
– How are our information systems developed ?
– Is security an integral part of information systems?
– How to Secure Data Management?
Big data Critical Criteria:
Deliberate Big data projects and oversee implementation of Big data.
– While a move from Oracles MySQL may be necessary because of its inability to handle key big data use cases, why should that move involve a switch to Apache Cassandra and DataStax Enterprise?
– What is the quantifiable ROI for this solution (cost / time savings / data error minimization / etc)?
– Is senior management in your organization involved in big data-related projects?
– Are there any best practices or standards for the use of Big Data solutions?
– With more data to analyze, can Big Data improve decision-making?
– Future Plans What is the future plan to expand this solution?
– Are our Big Data investment programs results driven?
– How do you handle Big Data in Analytic Applications?
– How fast can we adapt to changes in the data stream?
– What are our tools for big data analytics?
– What happens if/when no longer need cognitive input?
– Why use expensive machines when cheap ones suffice?
– What metrics do we use to assess the results?
– Does Big Data Really Need HPC?
– How robust are the results?
– Find traffic bottlenecks ?
– Are we Using Data To Win?
– What is Big Data to us?
– Where is the ROI?
Document management Critical Criteria:
Align Document management tactics and tour deciding if Document management progress is made.
– What is the role of digital document management in business continuity planning management?
– What are our needs in relation to Data Management skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– What are the short and long-term Data Management goals?
Management fad Critical Criteria:
Communicate about Management fad quality and finalize specific methods for Management fad acceptance.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Data Management product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– Is there a Data Management Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
Data modeling Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Data modeling engagements and probe Data modeling strategic alliances.
– In a project to restructure Data Management outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
Records management Critical Criteria:
Substantiate Records management tasks and oversee Records management management by competencies.
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Data Management process?
– Have records center personnel received training on the records management aspects of the Quality Assurance program?
Business intelligence Critical Criteria:
Demonstrate Business intelligence tasks and get going.
– Forget right-click and control+z. mobile interactions are fundamentally different from those on a desktop. does your mobile solution allow you to interact with desktop-authored dashboards using touchscreen gestures like taps, flicks, and pinches?
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Data Management. How do we gain traction?
– Does your BI solution create a strong partnership with IT to ensure that data, whether from extracts or live connections, is 100-percent accurate?
– Does your software provide roleand group-based security options that allow business users to securely create and publish their work?
– Are NoSQL databases used primarily for applications or are they used in Business Intelligence use cases as well?
– Are business intelligence solutions starting to include social media data and analytics features?
– Does big data threaten the traditional data warehouse business intelligence model stack?
– What are some best practices for gathering business intelligence about a competitor?
– what is the BI software application landscape going to look like in the next 5 years?
– What documentation is provided with the software / system and in what format?
– What tools are there for publishing sharing and visualizing data online?
– Describe the process of data transformation required by your system?
– Does your BI solution require weeks or months to deploy or change?
– What type and complexity of system administration roles?
– No single business unit responsible for enterprise data?
– What are the best client side analytics tools today?
– Is your bi software easy to understand?
– Why do we need business intelligence?
– Why BI?
Corporate Data Quality Management Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Corporate Data Quality Management tasks and look in other fields.
Metadata discovery Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Metadata discovery strategies and adopt an insight outlook.
– How do we manage Data Management Knowledge Management (KM)?
Business continuity planning Critical Criteria:
Look at Business continuity planning visions and separate what are the business goals Business continuity planning is aiming to achieve.
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once Data Management is underway?
– What is business continuity planning and why is it important?
– How do we Lead with Data Management in Mind?
Data architecture Critical Criteria:
Generalize Data architecture management and create Data architecture explanations for all managers.
– Does your bi software work well with both centralized and decentralized data architectures and vendors?
– Do we need an enterprise data warehouse, a Data Lake, or both as part of our overall data architecture?
Data processing Critical Criteria:
Own Data processing projects and sort Data processing activities.
– Consider your own Data Management project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– What are some strategies for capacity planning for big data processing and cloud computing?
– Who regulates/controls wording of the Consent for personal data processing document?
– Can the consent for personal data processing be granted to us over the phone?
– Do you see a need to share data processing facilities?
– Who sets the Data Management standards?
Database administration Critical Criteria:
Deliberate over Database administration tactics and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Database administration projects.
– Rapid application development (rad) techniques have been around for about two decades now and have been used with varying degrees of success. sometimes rad is required for certain projects. but rad can be bad for database design. why?
– Disaster recovery planning, also called contingency planning, is the process of preparing your organizations assets and operations in case of a disaster. but what do we define as a disaster?
– What are our disaster recovery goal prioritazations? Do we want to get the system up as quickly as possible?
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing Data Management?
– Who should be called in case of Disaster Recovery?
Open data Critical Criteria:
Review Open data issues and handle a jump-start course to Open data.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Data Management processes?
– Can we do Data Management without complex (expensive) analysis?
– What about Data Management Analysis of results?
Data security Critical Criteria:
Debate over Data security management and gather Data security models .
– Does the cloud solution offer equal or greater data security capabilities than those provided by your organizations data center?
– What are the minimum data security requirements for a database containing personal financial transaction records?
– Do these concerns about data security negate the value of storage-as-a-service in the cloud?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Data Management objectives?
– What are the challenges related to cloud computing data security?
– So, what should you do to mitigate these risks to data security?
– How do we Improve Data Management service perception, and satisfaction?
– Does it contain data security obligations?
– What is Data Security at Physical Layer?
– What is Data Security at Network Layer?
– How will you manage data security?
Identity management Critical Criteria:
Do a round table on Identity management strategies and finalize specific methods for Identity management acceptance.
– With so many identity management systems proposed, the big question is which one, if any, will provide the identity solution to become standard across the internet?
– Do we keep track of who the leading providers of identity management products and services are, and what are their key offerings, differentiators and strategies?
– How is the market for identity management evolving in new technologies, market trends and drivers, and user requirements?
– Did we develop our saas identity management solution in house or was it acquired from other vendors?
– Complement identity management and help desk solutions with closedloop import and export?
– What is the security -life cycle identity management business case?
– What are the identity management facilities of the provider?
– What is a secure identity management infrastructure?
– What is identity management to us (idm)?
– How can identity management help?
– What about identity management?
Data warehouse Critical Criteria:
Model after Data warehouse visions and interpret which customers can’t participate in Data warehouse because they lack skills.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your Data Management processes?
– What tier data server has been identified for the storage of decision support data contained in a data warehouse?
– What does a typical data warehouse and business intelligence organizational structure look like?
– Is data warehouseing necessary for our business intelligence service?
– Is Data Warehouseing necessary for a business intelligence service?
– What is the difference between a database and data warehouse?
– What are alternatives to building a data warehouse?
– Do we offer a good introduction to data warehouse?
– Data Warehouse versus Data Lake (Data Swamp)?
– Do you still need a data warehouse?
Data management plan Critical Criteria:
Add value to Data management plan governance and spearhead techniques for implementing Data management plan.
– Does Data Management systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– What would be needed in a data management plan to describe use of novel equipment?
– Who is responsible for managing the data and the data management plan?
– Should the data management plan be kept with the data?
– What is a data management plan?
Customer data integration Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Customer data integration engagements and adjust implementation of Customer data integration.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Data Management, including any consulting or professional services?
– What vendors make products that address the Data Management needs?
Information management Critical Criteria:
Gauge Information management outcomes and reinforce and communicate particularly sensitive Information management decisions.
– What is the difference between Enterprise Information Management and Data Warehousing?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Data Management project?
– How is Business Intelligence and Information Management related?
Data theft Critical Criteria:
Differentiate Data theft governance and explain and analyze the challenges of Data theft.
– Are we Assessing Data Management and Risk?
Controlled vocabulary Critical Criteria:
Grade Controlled vocabulary tasks and finalize specific methods for Controlled vocabulary acceptance.
– How do your measurements capture actionable Data Management information for use in exceeding your customers expectations and securing your customers engagement?
– Is a Data Management Team Work effort in place?
– Is Data Management Required?
Data quality Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Data quality outcomes and grade techniques for implementing Data quality controls.
– Do we conduct regular data quality audits to ensure that our strategies for enforcing quality control are up-to-date and that any corrective measures undertaken in the past have been successful in improving Data Quality?
– What should I consider in selecting the most resource-effective data collection design that will satisfy all of my performance or acceptance criteria?
– Are data timely enough to influence management decision-making (i.e., in terms of frequency and currency)?
– Are there clearly defined and followed procedures to identify and reconcile discrepancies in reports?
– Are data maintained in accordance with international or national confidentiality guidelines?
– What are some of the different sources of error (variability) in my collected data?
– Are source documents kept and made available in accordance with a written policy?
– Is data recorded with sufficient precision/detail to measure relevant indicators?
– Do you define jargon and other terminology used in data collection tools?
– Match data specifications against data are all the attributes present?
– How does big data impact Data Quality and governance best practices?
– How can you control the probability of making decision errors?
– Do you use the same data collection methods for all sites?
– Data rich enough to answer analysis/business question?
– Are you measuring what you intended to measure?
– Do the uploaded files fit an expected pattern?
– Is the frequency of review identified?
– Why is Data Quality necessary?
– Is the information accurate?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Enterprise Metadata Management Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Data Management External links:
Spirion – Sensitive Data Management
Fountas & Pinnell Literacy Online Data Management System
What is data management? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Data mart External links:
MPR Data Mart
[PDF]Institutional Research Data Mart: Instructor Guide …
[PDF]Meta-data and Data Mart solutions for better …
Reference data External links:
Engineers Edge – Reference Data for Engineers | GD&T …
Fiscal Service Financial Reference Data – TAS-BETCs
Reference data (Computer file, 2007) [WorldCat.org]
Data quality assurance External links:
What is Data Quality Assurance? (with picture) – wiseGEEK
Data Quality Assurance Solutions – ObservePoint
Postal code External links:
Honduras Zip Codes – Postal Code
AAA ZIP/Postal Code
Postal Code Lookup in Canada
Data asset External links:
Our Data Asset | JPMorgan Chase Institute
A data asset may be a system or application output file, database, document, or Web page. A data asset also includes a service that may be provided to access data from an application. For example, a service that returns individual records from a database would be a data asset.
Extract, transform, load External links:
What is ETL (Extract, Transform, Load)? Webopedia Definition
Database management system External links:
Database Management System (DBMS) – Techopedia.com
Relational Database Management System | MariaDB …
ChurchSuite – Church Database Management System
Information architecture External links:
Information Architecture – AbeBooks
Data integrity External links:
[PDF]IMPROVING TITLE I DATA INTEGRITY FOR …
Data Integrity Jobs – Apply Now | CareerBuilder
Data Integrity Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Knowledge management External links:
APQC’s 2018 Knowledge Management Conference
Knowledge Management System – Login
tealbook – Supplier Discovery & Knowledge Management
Identity theft External links:
[PDF]Identity Theft and Your Social Security Number
Land Title: Identity Theft
Information Lifecycle Management External links:
Information Lifecycle Management Simplified
[PDF]Information Lifecycle Management Policy
Data access External links:
Soil Data Access – Home
Data Access – National Death Index
BuildFax Data Access Portal: BDAP
CRM software External links:
CRM Software for Sales Acceleration | Base CRM
Simple CRM Software – Highrise
CRM Software For Outside Sales Teams | Telenotes
Data retention External links:
[PDF]XtraMath Data Retention Policy
Data Retention – AbeBooks
Information repository External links:
Collections Information Repository (CIR)
DoDMERB Secure Applicant Information Repository – …
Payment Information Repository (PIR)
ERP software External links:
Deacom, Inc. | ERP Software for Manufacturers and …
Cloud ERP Software Apps on the Salesforce Platform
Munis Software | Financial ERP Software | Tyler Technologies
Data steward External links:
http://A data steward is a person responsible for the management and fitness of data elements (also known as critical data elements) – both the content and metadata. Data stewards have a specialist role that incorporates processes, policies, guidelines and responsibilities for administering organizations’ entire data in compliance with policy and/or regulatory obligations.
Seiner’s Data Steward Rules | TDAN.com
Data Steward Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Data erasure External links:
Complete Data Removal, Data Erasure Software – Blancco
Data Erasure Resources – WhiteCanyon Software
Data Erasure Solutions | Ontrack
Data maintenance External links:
Job Information: Data Maintenance Specialist Job
Data Maintenance Specialist Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Street and Address Data Maintenance Program
Data curation External links:
Data curation (Book, 2017) [WorldCat.org]
What is data curation? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Title: Data Curation APIs – arXiv
Enterprise content management External links:
What is Enterprise Content Management (ECM)? – aiim.org
Enterprise Content Management (ECM) Services – Xerox
Telephone number External links:
PERS | Emergency Response Telephone Number
Performance report External links:
2016–17 Texas Academic Performance Report
Public ADS-B Performance Report
[PDF]OFFICER PERFORMANCE REPORT (Lt thru Col)
Data privacy External links:
Data Privacy Notice – Oracle
Mullen Coughlin – Cybersecurity & Data Privacy
Data enrichment External links:
Data enrichment and append – Clearbit
What is Data Enrichment? | Datanyze
What is Data Enrichment? – Definition from Techopedia
Data Management External links:
What is data management? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Pursuant Health – Population Health Data Management
Spirion – Sensitive Data Management
Marketing operations External links:
Marketing Operations – Aprimo
Aprimo Marketing Operations
Vienna Channels: Custom Marketing Operations
Machine-Readable Documents External links:
Machine-Readable Documents – Revolvy
Enterprise architecture External links:
Enterprise Architecture – EA – Gartner IT Glossary
Document management system External links:
Casnet – Document Management System & Scanning Services
Doclink – Document Management System
Balic Document Viewer—Document Management System
Digital preservation External links:
Archivematica: open-source digital preservation system
Digital Preservation | govinfo
Home | The Digital Preservation Network
Data mining External links:
UT Data Mining
Data Mining Extensions (DMX) Reference | Microsoft Docs
What is Data Mining in Healthcare?
Random access External links:
Daft Punk Random Access Memories Album – YouTube
What is RAM? (aka Random Access Memory or Main Memory)
What is RAM – Random Access Memory? Webopedia …
Master data management External links:
Academy | Training in MDM – Master Data Management | …
Best Master Data Management (MDM) Software in 2018 | G2 …
Master Data Management | IBM Analytics
Data governance External links:
Dataguise | Sensitive Data Governance
What is data governance (DG)? – Definition from …
Data Governance – Do Job Titles Matter? – DATAVERSITY
Data proliferation External links:
CPG Data Proliferation — Frain Industries
[PDF]Data Proliferation STOP THAT – THIC
Data analysis External links:
Seven Bridges Genomics – The biomedical data analysis …
Data Analysis – Illinois State Board of Education
Relational database External links:
Relational Database Terms Flashcards | Quizlet
Cloud SQL – MySQL & PostgreSQL Relational Database …
How to Design Relational Database with ERD? – Visual …
Data cleansing External links:
Data Cleansing Solution – Salesforce.com
Data cleansing – SlideShare
System integration External links:
Smart Grid Solutions | Smart Grid System Integration Services
Hierarchical storage management External links:
What is HSM (Hierarchical Storage Management)?
NetBackup and Hierarchical Storage Management (HSM) …
Sophos Anti-Virus: Hierarchical Storage Management – …
Computer data storage External links:
Computer Data Storage Options – Ferris State University
computer data storage service – TheBlaze
Information design External links:
Information Design: The Understanding Discipline
[PDF]DG 415-5 General Facilities Information Design Guide
MIT 4.s02: Information Design | Fathom
Information system External links:
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS)
Big data External links:
Business Intelligence and Big Data Analytics Software
Take 5 Media Group – Build an audience using big data
Databricks – Making Big Data Simple
Document management External links:
Document Management | SingleSource
Document Management Incorporated :: Motor Vehicle …
What is Document Management? – DocuVantage
Management fad External links:
Shared services: Management fad or real value – Strategy&
What is MANAGEMENT FAD? What does MANAGEMENT …
Is ‘mindfulness’ just another management fad? | Fortune
Data modeling External links:
The Difference Between Data Analysis and Data Modeling
Data Modeling | IT Pro
Data modeling (Book, 1995) [WorldCat.org]
Records management External links:
[PDF]interactive Personnel Electronic Records Management …
Records Management by Federal Agencies (44 U.S.C. …
Business intelligence External links:
SQL Server Business Intelligence | Microsoft
EnsembleIQ | The premier business intelligence resource
Corporate Data Quality Management External links:
CDQM means Corporate Data Quality Management – All …
Framework for Corporate Data Quality Management …
Corporate Data Quality Management | EFQM
Metadata discovery External links:
Silwood Technology – Safyr® Metadata Discovery Software
Business continuity planning External links:
Business Continuity Planning – Northwestern University
Business Continuity Planning Suite | Ready.gov
Business Continuity Planning Flashcards | Quizlet
Data architecture External links:
Certica Solutions: K-12 Cloud Platform and Data Architecture
Data processing External links:
Data Processing Services are Taxable
Data Factory – Data processing service | Microsoft Azure
Southland Data Processing Inc – Login – Payentry
Database administration External links:
What is Database Administration? – Definition from Techopedia
Open data External links:
Open Data Portal | NJOIT Open Data Center
California Health and Human Services Open Data Portal
NYC Open Data
Data security External links:
What is data security – answers.com
Account Data Security at Fidelity
[PDF]INSURANCE DATA SECURITY MODEL LAW Table of …
Identity management External links:
Colorado Department of Education Identity Management
MasTec Identity Management Portal
Login Page – Planned Parenthood Identity Management
Data warehouse External links:
Enterprise Data Warehouse | IT@UMN
Y-DNA Data Warehouse Submission – Haplogroup R
Urology at UCLA | Urology Data warehouse
Data management plan External links:
Data Management Plan Examples | NCSU Libraries
Write a data management plan | Data management
NSF-ENG: Data Management Plan Requirements
Customer data integration External links:
Customer Data Integration and Master Data Management
Customer Data Integration – Just another Tamr Inc. Sites site
Customer Data Integration | CDI | MuleSoft
Information management External links:
Association for Title Information Management – Home | …
Controlled vocabulary External links:
Controlled Vocabulary Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
I Can Read It! Books | Controlled Vocabulary Books | Sonlight
What Is A Controlled Vocabulary? – Boxes and Arrows
Data quality External links:
Data Analysis | Data Profiling | Experian Data Quality
A3-4-02: Data Quality and Integrity (10/24/2016) – Fannie Mae
CWS Data Quality Portal