What is involved in Process mining
Find out what the related areas are that Process mining connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Process mining thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Process mining journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Process mining leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Process mining related domains to cover and 136 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Process mining, Business Activity Monitoring, Business Operations Management, Business Process Discovery, Business Process Management, Business process, Business process engineering, Business process intelligence, Business process model, Cloud computing, Computer data logging, Conformance checking, Data mining, Data visualization, Database trigger, Electronic health record, Enterprise resource planning, Intention mining, Petri net, Pi-calculus, Prior probability, Process management, Scientific workflow system, Sequence mining, Wil van der Aalst, Workflow, Workflow Management System, Π-calculus:
Process mining Critical Criteria:
Canvass Process mining quality and use obstacles to break out of ruts.
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Process mining project?
– To what extent does management recognize Process mining as a tool to increase the results?
– Does Process mining analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Business Activity Monitoring Critical Criteria:
Guard Business Activity Monitoring leadership and ask what if.
– How important is Process mining to the user organizations mission?
– How would one define Process mining leadership?
– How can the value of Process mining be defined?
Business Operations Management Critical Criteria:
Huddle over Business Operations Management results and find answers.
– What are the key elements of your Process mining performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– What are your most important goals for the strategic Process mining objectives?
– Do we all define Process mining in the same way?
Business Process Discovery Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Business Process Discovery tasks and develop and take control of the Business Process Discovery initiative.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Process mining?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Process mining study?
Business Process Management Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Business Process Management adoptions and transcribe Business Process Management as tomorrows backbone for success.
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Process mining processes?
– How likely is the current Process mining plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– How will you measure your Process mining effectiveness?
Business process Critical Criteria:
Focus on Business process outcomes and explain and analyze the challenges of Business process.
– Do we identify maximum allowable downtime for critical business functions, acceptable levels of data loss and backlogged transactions, RTOs, RPOs, recovery of the critical path (i.e., business processes or systems that should receive the highest priority), and the costs associated with downtime? Are the approved thresholds appropriate?
– To what extent will this product open up for subsequent add-on products, e.g. business process outsourcing services built on top of a program-as-a-service offering?
– Has business process Cybersecurity has been included in continuity of operations plans for areas such as customer data, billing, etc.?
– When conducting a business process reengineering study, what should we look for when trying to identify business processes to change?
– What are the disruptive Process mining technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– Do those selected for the Process mining team have a good general understanding of what Process mining is all about?
– What finance, procurement and Human Resources business processes should be included in the scope of a erp solution?
– If we process purchase orders; what is the desired business process around supporting purchase orders?
– How do clients contact client services with any questions about business processes?
– Do changes in business processes fall under the scope of change management?
– What business process supports the entry and validation of the data?
– How will business process and behavioral change be managed?
– What are the long-term Process mining goals?
– What/how are business processes defined?
– Is a Process mining Team Work effort in place?
Business process engineering Critical Criteria:
Grade Business process engineering projects and explain and analyze the challenges of Business process engineering.
– Does Process mining include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– What other organizational variables, such as reward systems or communication systems, affect the performance of this Process mining process?
– Do we have past Process mining Successes?
Business process intelligence Critical Criteria:
Powwow over Business process intelligence results and report on setting up Business process intelligence without losing ground.
– How do we measure improved Process mining service perception, and satisfaction?
– What potential environmental factors impact the Process mining effort?
Business process model Critical Criteria:
Accumulate Business process model governance and spearhead techniques for implementing Business process model.
– What new services of functionality will be implemented next with Process mining ?
– What are all of our Process mining domains and what do they do?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Drive Cloud computing adoptions and get out your magnifying glass.
– How might we classify current cloud computing offerings across a spectrum, and how do the technical and business challenges differ depending on where in the spectrum a particular offering lies?
– How will you exercise control over the data within the cloud to ensure that the data are available and that confidentiality and integrity of the data remain protected?
– What impact has emerging technology (e.g., cloud computing, virtualization and mobile computing) had on your companys ITRM program over the past 12 months?
– How can you start to build to a position of trust and risk management when setting up cloud computing for your organization?
– For a customer-facing application, is the move to cloud computing expected to increase the number of customers accessing it?
– How do the end users of cloud computing know that their information is not having any availability and security issues?
– Change in technology and prices over time: what will billing units be like for the higher-level virtualization clouds?
– Will Process mining have an impact on current business continuity, disaster recovery processes and/or infrastructure?
– If the application is used to generate revenue, is the move to cloud computing expected to increase that revenue?
– Do we require that confidential information in the cloud be stored within the united states?
– What is the future scope for combination of Business Intelligence and Cloud Computing?
– Is there any application left that does not talk to at least one of its fellows?
– How can cloud stakeholders ensure and promote the security of Cloud computing?
– Will Cloud Computing replace traditional dedicated server hosting?
– What are the challenges related to cloud computing data security?
– How is cloud computing shaping enterprise communications?
– Is there a good pricing model for cloud services?
– What should telcos be focusing on in 5 10 years?
– What percent of the market will not use cloud?
– Is the public cloud more secure?
Computer data logging Critical Criteria:
Shape Computer data logging projects and test out new things.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Process mining that make it risky?
– Is Process mining dependent on the successful delivery of a current project?
Conformance checking Critical Criteria:
Conceptualize Conformance checking strategies and report on the economics of relationships managing Conformance checking and constraints.
– What is our formula for success in Process mining ?
– How to Secure Process mining?
Data mining Critical Criteria:
Canvass Data mining risks and be persistent.
– Do you see the need to clarify copyright aspects of the data-driven innovation (e.g. with respect to technologies such as text and data mining)?
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Process mining services/products?
– What types of transactional activities and data mining are being used and where do we see the greatest potential benefits?
– What is the difference between Data Analytics Data Analysis Data Mining and Data Science?
– What is the difference between business intelligence business analytics and data mining?
– Is business intelligence set to play a key role in the future of Human Resources?
– How do we know that any Process mining analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– What programs do we have to teach data mining?
– What will drive Process mining change?
Data visualization Critical Criteria:
Value Data visualization leadership and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Data visualization results.
– What are the best places schools to study data visualization information design or information architecture?
– Does our organization need more Process mining education?
– Have all basic functions of Process mining been defined?
Database trigger Critical Criteria:
Frame Database trigger leadership and integrate design thinking in Database trigger innovation.
– What are your current levels and trends in key measures or indicators of Process mining product and process performance that are important to and directly serve your customers? how do these results compare with the performance of your competitors and other organizations with similar offerings?
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective Process mining leader?
– What are our needs in relation to Process mining skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
Electronic health record Critical Criteria:
Focus on Electronic health record tasks and create a map for yourself.
– What are the barriers to increased Process mining production?
– What business benefits will Process mining goals deliver if achieved?
Enterprise resource planning Critical Criteria:
Devise Enterprise resource planning engagements and clarify ways to gain access to competitive Enterprise resource planning services.
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Process mining processes?
Intention mining Critical Criteria:
Face Intention mining outcomes and be persistent.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Process mining does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Process mining strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
Petri net Critical Criteria:
Canvass Petri net decisions and correct Petri net management by competencies.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Process mining in a volatile global economy?
– Is maximizing Process mining protection the same as minimizing Process mining loss?
– What are internal and external Process mining relations?
Pi-calculus Critical Criteria:
Systematize Pi-calculus management and define what do we need to start doing with Pi-calculus.
– A compounding model resolution with available relevant data can often provide insight towards a solution methodology; which Process mining models, tools and techniques are necessary?
– Who sets the Process mining standards?
Prior probability Critical Criteria:
Check Prior probability results and ask questions.
– What knowledge, skills and characteristics mark a good Process mining project manager?
– Can Management personnel recognize the monetary benefit of Process mining?
Process management Critical Criteria:
Extrapolate Process management visions and finalize the present value of growth of Process management.
– What process management and improvement tools are we using PDSA/PDCA, ISO 9000, Lean, Balanced Scorecard, Six Sigma, something else?
– Among the Process mining product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– How do we keep improving Process mining?
Scientific workflow system Critical Criteria:
Incorporate Scientific workflow system projects and gather Scientific workflow system models .
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Process mining forward?
– How is the value delivered by Process mining being measured?
Sequence mining Critical Criteria:
Administer Sequence mining tasks and oversee Sequence mining management by competencies.
– Think about the people you identified for your Process mining project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
Wil van der Aalst Critical Criteria:
Apply Wil van der Aalst projects and mentor Wil van der Aalst customer orientation.
– Which customers cant participate in our Process mining domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Process mining processes of our organization?
– What are specific Process mining Rules to follow?
Workflow Critical Criteria:
Design Workflow goals and describe which business rules are needed as Workflow interface.
– Security and authentication technologies, allied to event logging, in the cloud computing environment can help auditors as they deal with issues related to workflow were those who entered, approved, changed or otherwise touched data authorized to do so, on an individual, group or role-related basis?
– Constantly communicate the new direction to staff. HR must rapidly readjust organizational charts, job descriptions, workflow processes, salary levels, performance measurement, etc. Why?
– Have you captured the workflow (which conceptualizes the data inputs, transformations, and analytical steps to achieve the final data output)?
– Process support: how can a project better institutionalize workflow support without adding a bureaucratic burden to the developers?
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that Process mining objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– How to manage workflows and projects, that are inherently distributed outside the organizational structure?
– Can we do Process mining without complex (expensive) analysis?
– To create parallel systems or custom workflows?
– What happens to workflows?
Workflow Management System Critical Criteria:
Match Workflow Management System projects and finalize the present value of growth of Workflow Management System.
– What are the usability implications of Process mining actions?
– How can skill-level changes improve Process mining?
– What is Effective Process mining?
Π-calculus Critical Criteria:
Reorganize Π-calculus decisions and cater for concise Π-calculus education.
– In the case of a Process mining project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Process mining project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Process mining project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What are our Process mining Processes?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Process mining Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Process mining External links:
What is the best software for process mining? – Quora
PROCESSGOLD – Professional Process Mining Software
Business Activity Monitoring External links:
What is Business Activity Monitoring? – Quora
KnowledgeSync – The Leader in Business Activity Monitoring
Business Activity Monitoring (BAM) – Gartner IT Glossary
Business Operations Management External links:
Business Operations Management | Accenture
Business Operations Management, Certificate
4.03 Business Operations Management-worksheet
Business Process Discovery External links:
Preparing for Business Process Discovery (Free) | …
Automated Business Process Discovery – QPR …
British Library EThOS: Business process discovery …
Business Process Management External links:
Workflow Software, Business Process Management …
What is business process management (BPM)? – …
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM …
Business process External links:
Business Process Outsourcing | BPO | DATAMARK, Inc.
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM …
Business process engineering External links:
What is Business process engineering? – Quora
Business Process Engineering Salary | PayScale
http://www.payscale.com › United States › Skill/Specialty
What Is Business Process Engineering? – Learn.org
Business process intelligence External links:
Business Process Intelligence means the ability to analyze and associate all influencing factors of business processes and workflows in order to reach operational excellence.
Business process model External links:
Business Process Modeling – WhatIs.com
Gliffy Business Process Model Notation: BPMN 2.0 Diagram
Cloud computing External links:
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
Cloud Computing and Data Center Infrastructure as a Service
Computer data logging External links:
computer data logging Pictures, Images & Photos | Photobucket
http://photobucket.com/images/computer data logging
[PDF]Computer Data Logging Formats
A MICRO-COMPUTER DATA LOGGING SYSTEM – …
Conformance checking External links:
Model-based incremental conformance checking to …
[PDF]Static Conformance Checking of Runtime …
Data Conformance Checking with XmlReader
Data mining External links:
Data Mining on the Florida Department of Corrections Website
UT Data Mining
What is Data Mining in Healthcare?
Data visualization External links:
AstroNova | Data Visualization Technology & Solutions
What is data visualization? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Power BI | Interactive Data Visualization BI Tools
Database trigger External links:
What is a Database Trigger? – Essential SQL
Database Trigger And JMS – Stack Overflow
Database trigger that communicates with an external program
Electronic health record External links:
What is electronic health record (EHR)? – Definition …
Paragon Electronic Health Record (EHR) System | McKesson
myD-H | eD-H Electronic Health Record of Dartmouth-Hitchcock
Enterprise resource planning External links:
What is ERP (Enterprise resource planning)? – NetSuite.com
Enterprise Resource Planning
Enterprise Resource Planning System | Hill International
Intention mining External links:
[PDF]Process Mining Versus Intention Mining
Petri net External links:
What is a Petri Net? | Phrase Definitions – Quora
Petri net – YouTube
Safe Petri Net – How is Safe Petri Net abbreviated?
Pi-calculus External links:
GitHub – renzyq19/pi-calculus
Prior probability External links:
prior probability | Hey, where did you get your priors?
What is Prior Probability? – Paternity DNA Testing, Tests
Bayes’ Theorem for Everyone 04 – Prior Probability – YouTube
Process management External links:
Process Management System | InTechOpen – Open …
HEFLO BPM | Business Process Management
Infosys BPM – Business Process Management | BPM …
Wil van der Aalst External links:
Wil van der Aalst – Google Scholar Citations
Wil van der Aalst | Facebook
Wil van der Aalst (@wvdaalst) | Twitter
Workflow External links:
Initiating Workflows | SpringCM
Wide Area Workflow eBusiness Suite – WAWF
Starting your Workflow | Nintex Community
Workflow Management System External links:
TrackPro | Workflow Management System
eSchoolView Workflow Management System
Workflow Management System | Issuetrak