What is involved in IBM i System Administration
Find out what the related areas are that IBM i System Administration connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a IBM i System Administration thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its IBM i System Administration journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward IBM i System Administration leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which IBM i System Administration related domains to cover and 126 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
IBM i System Administration , Apache web server, Auxiliary storage pool, Closed source, Control Program Facility, DOS/360 and successors, General availability release, IBM 4680 OS, IBM 4690 OS, IBM 7090/94 IBSYS, IBM 8100 DPCX, IBM AIX, IBM Academic Operating System, IBM Airline Control Program, IBM DB2, IBM DPPX, IBM PC DOS, IBM Power Systems, IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program, IBM System/36, IBM System/38, IBM System i, IBM Workplace OS, Linux on z Systems, Logical partition, Microsoft Windows, MySQL AB, OS/360 and successors, Operating system, Project Monterey, Project Trillian, Proprietary software, Single-level store, Software developer, Software license, Software release life cycle, Transaction Processing Facility, Virtual machine, WebSphere Application Server, Web application framework, Zend Technologies:
IBM i System Administration Critical Criteria:
Steer IBM i System Administration visions and cater for concise IBM i System Administration education.
– what is the best design framework for IBM i System Administration organization now that, in a post industrial-age if the top-down, command and control model is no longer relevant?
– To what extent does management recognize IBM i System Administration as a tool to increase the results?
Apache web server Critical Criteria:
Distinguish Apache web server adoptions and report on developing an effective Apache web server strategy.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about IBM i System Administration . How do we gain traction?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– Is IBM i System Administration Realistic, or are you setting yourself up for failure?
Auxiliary storage pool Critical Criteria:
Drive Auxiliary storage pool issues and attract Auxiliary storage pool skills.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of IBM i System Administration moving forward?
– Will IBM i System Administration deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– What are the usability implications of IBM i System Administration actions?
Closed source Critical Criteria:
Focus on Closed source leadership and customize techniques for implementing Closed source controls.
– Are there any disadvantages to implementing IBM i System Administration ? There might be some that are less obvious?
– How do we measure improved IBM i System Administration service perception, and satisfaction?
– Have all basic functions of IBM i System Administration been defined?
Control Program Facility Critical Criteria:
Grade Control Program Facility goals and look at the big picture.
– Who are the people involved in developing and implementing IBM i System Administration ?
– What are the Key enablers to make this IBM i System Administration move?
DOS/360 and successors Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on DOS/360 and successors leadership and look for lots of ideas.
– What prevents me from making the changes I know will make me a more effective IBM i System Administration leader?
– What is the source of the strategies for IBM i System Administration strengthening and reform?
– What are specific IBM i System Administration Rules to follow?
General availability release Critical Criteria:
Substantiate General availability release visions and sort General availability release activities.
– What are internal and external IBM i System Administration relations?
– How do we Lead with IBM i System Administration in Mind?
– Do we have past IBM i System Administration Successes?
IBM 4680 OS Critical Criteria:
Investigate IBM 4680 OS tactics and tour deciding if IBM 4680 OS progress is made.
– What are your results for key measures or indicators of the accomplishment of your IBM i System Administration strategy and action plans, including building and strengthening core competencies?
– Do those selected for the IBM i System Administration team have a good general understanding of what IBM i System Administration is all about?
– Is there any existing IBM i System Administration governance structure?
IBM 4690 OS Critical Criteria:
Study IBM 4690 OS issues and balance specific methods for improving IBM 4690 OS results.
– Do we all define IBM i System Administration in the same way?
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS Critical Criteria:
Facilitate IBM 7090/94 IBSYS projects and finalize the present value of growth of IBM 7090/94 IBSYS.
– How can skill-level changes improve IBM i System Administration ?
– How can we improve IBM i System Administration ?
IBM 8100 DPCX Critical Criteria:
Check IBM 8100 DPCX leadership and interpret which customers can’t participate in IBM 8100 DPCX because they lack skills.
– What sources do you use to gather information for a IBM i System Administration study?
– What are all of our IBM i System Administration domains and what do they do?
IBM AIX Critical Criteria:
Interpolate IBM AIX tactics and define what our big hairy audacious IBM AIX goal is.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a IBM i System Administration process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the IBM i System Administration process available?
– In a project to restructure IBM i System Administration outcomes, which stakeholders would you involve?
IBM Academic Operating System Critical Criteria:
Be clear about IBM Academic Operating System management and report on developing an effective IBM Academic Operating System strategy.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect IBM i System Administration workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as IBM i System Administration leaders?
– What is Effective IBM i System Administration ?
IBM Airline Control Program Critical Criteria:
Test IBM Airline Control Program tactics and check on ways to get started with IBM Airline Control Program.
– Among the IBM i System Administration product and service cost to be estimated, which is considered hardest to estimate?
– Are accountability and ownership for IBM i System Administration clearly defined?
– What is our IBM i System Administration Strategy?
IBM DB2 Critical Criteria:
Survey IBM DB2 tasks and achieve a single IBM DB2 view and bringing data together.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent IBM i System Administration services/products?
IBM DPPX Critical Criteria:
See the value of IBM DPPX tactics and find the essential reading for IBM DPPX researchers.
– What management system can we use to leverage the IBM i System Administration experience, ideas, and concerns of the people closest to the work to be done?
– Does IBM i System Administration analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
IBM PC DOS Critical Criteria:
Investigate IBM PC DOS failures and get answers.
– What are the disruptive IBM i System Administration technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– What business benefits will IBM i System Administration goals deliver if achieved?
IBM Power Systems Critical Criteria:
Accumulate IBM Power Systems visions and reduce IBM Power Systems costs.
– Is there a IBM i System Administration Communication plan covering who needs to get what information when?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a IBM i System Administration project?
– How do we know that any IBM i System Administration analysis is complete and comprehensive?
IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program Critical Criteria:
Confer re IBM System/34, 36 System Support Program management and learn.
IBM System/36 Critical Criteria:
Align IBM System/36 governance and look in other fields.
– How do we Identify specific IBM i System Administration investment and emerging trends?
IBM System/38 Critical Criteria:
Add value to IBM System/38 results and catalog what business benefits will IBM System/38 goals deliver if achieved.
– What are our needs in relation to IBM i System Administration skills, labor, equipment, and markets?
– Is the scope of IBM i System Administration defined?
IBM System i Critical Criteria:
Have a meeting on IBM System i planning and figure out ways to motivate other IBM System i users.
– Meeting the challenge: are missed IBM i System Administration opportunities costing us money?
– Do IBM i System Administration rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
– What threat is IBM i System Administration addressing?
IBM Workplace OS Critical Criteria:
Match IBM Workplace OS governance and look at it backwards.
– What are the long-term IBM i System Administration goals?
Linux on z Systems Critical Criteria:
Consolidate Linux on z Systems decisions and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Linux on z Systems.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to IBM i System Administration ?
– Does IBM i System Administration systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
Logical partition Critical Criteria:
Start Logical partition management and figure out ways to motivate other Logical partition users.
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of IBM i System Administration that make it risky?
Microsoft Windows Critical Criteria:
Talk about Microsoft Windows quality and report on the economics of relationships managing Microsoft Windows and constraints.
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a IBM i System Administration strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
MySQL AB Critical Criteria:
Match MySQL AB tactics and research ways can we become the MySQL AB company that would put us out of business.
– What are current IBM i System Administration Paradigms?
OS/360 and successors Critical Criteria:
Chart OS/360 and successors visions and observe effective OS/360 and successors.
– What are the key elements of your IBM i System Administration performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– At what point will vulnerability assessments be performed once IBM i System Administration is put into production (e.g., ongoing Risk Management after implementation)?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the IBM i System Administration process?
Operating system Critical Criteria:
Illustrate Operating system failures and diversify disclosure of information – dealing with confidential Operating system information.
– If the firewall runs on an individual host for which all users are not trusted system administrators, how vulnerable is it to tampering by a user logged into the operating system running on the protected hosts?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– Which customers cant participate in our IBM i System Administration domain because they lack skills, wealth, or convenient access to existing solutions?
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– What operating systems are used for student computers, devices, laptops, etc.?
– Are there recognized IBM i System Administration problems?
– What operating system does your computer use?
– Is unauthorized access to operating systems prevented?
Project Monterey Critical Criteria:
Depict Project Monterey failures and find the ideas you already have.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the IBM i System Administration process?
– Can we do IBM i System Administration without complex (expensive) analysis?
Project Trillian Critical Criteria:
Disseminate Project Trillian tactics and diversify by understanding risks and leveraging Project Trillian.
– What are your key performance measures or indicators and in-process measures for the control and improvement of your IBM i System Administration processes?
– How do we Improve IBM i System Administration service perception, and satisfaction?
– Are there IBM i System Administration Models?
Proprietary software Critical Criteria:
Confer over Proprietary software outcomes and oversee implementation of Proprietary software.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of IBM i System Administration into the services that we provide?
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving IBM i System Administration forward?
Single-level store Critical Criteria:
Graph Single-level store leadership and look for lots of ideas.
– What are the success criteria that will indicate that IBM i System Administration objectives have been met and the benefits delivered?
– What is the purpose of IBM i System Administration in relation to the mission?
Software developer Critical Criteria:
Refer to Software developer goals and look at the big picture.
– Think about the kind of project structure that would be appropriate for your IBM i System Administration project. should it be formal and complex, or can it be less formal and relatively simple?
– Pick an experienced Unix software developer, show him all the algorithms and ask him which one he likes the best?
– How do we go about Securing IBM i System Administration ?
Software license Critical Criteria:
Shape Software license quality and adopt an insight outlook.
– In the case of a IBM i System Administration project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a IBM i System Administration project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any IBM i System Administration project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– What implementation technologies/resources (e.g., programming languages, development platforms, software licenses) does the provider support?
– Is our software usage in compliance with software license agreements?
– What will drive IBM i System Administration change?
Software release life cycle Critical Criteria:
Mix Software release life cycle decisions and proactively manage Software release life cycle risks.
Transaction Processing Facility Critical Criteria:
Accelerate Transaction Processing Facility tasks and modify and define the unique characteristics of interactive Transaction Processing Facility projects.
– How do mission and objectives affect the IBM i System Administration processes of our organization?
– How important is IBM i System Administration to the user organizations mission?
Virtual machine Critical Criteria:
Adapt Virtual machine tactics and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Virtual machine results.
– Can your application be packaged into a virtual machine (vm) instance and run on cloud infrastructure or does it need specialized hardware and/or special access to hardware that the aws cloud cannot provide?
– An administrator is concerned about denial of service attacks on their virtual machines (vms). what is an effective method to reduce the risk of this type of attack?
– Does the provider utilize Network Access Control based enforcement for continuous monitoring of its virtual machine population and virtual machine sprawl prevention?
– What types of resources (e.g., virtual machines, storage space, development environments) does the provider offer as part of each of its service models?
– An administrator wants to install a guest os on a newly created virtual machine. what enables the administrator to perform the installation?
– What is a limitation of using a backup agent on a hypervisor when backing up virtual machine (vm) data?
– What enables a virtual machine to be portable across physical machines running the same hypervisor?
– Which technique can be used to cluster a virtual machine with a physical machine?
– How many virtual machines are to be protected by the disaster recovery solution?
– What is the basis for determining the size of the virtual machine swap file?
– What enables a virtual machine to directly access luns in a storage system?
– What makes it possible to store virtual machine files on a nas device?
– How do we go about Comparing IBM i System Administration approaches/solutions?
– What is a feature of virtual machine file system (vmfs)?
WebSphere Application Server Critical Criteria:
Align WebSphere Application Server quality and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of WebSphere Application Server.
– Does IBM i System Administration create potential expectations in other areas that need to be recognized and considered?
– Is maximizing IBM i System Administration protection the same as minimizing IBM i System Administration loss?
Web application framework Critical Criteria:
Think about Web application framework strategies and assess and formulate effective operational and Web application framework strategies.
– What are the top 3 things at the forefront of our IBM i System Administration agendas for the next 3 years?
Zend Technologies Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Zend Technologies quality and display thorough understanding of the Zend Technologies process.
– Consider your own IBM i System Administration project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
– Who will be responsible for making the decisions to include or exclude requested changes once IBM i System Administration is underway?
– What are the short and long-term IBM i System Administration goals?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the IBM i System Administration Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
IBM i System Administration External links:
IBM i System Administration – OL19G – Tech Data Academy
Apache web server External links:
How to Install Apache Web Server on Windows — SitePoint
How to Install the Apache Web Server on a Windows PC
13 Apache Web Server Security and Hardening Tips – …
Auxiliary storage pool External links:
ASP abbreviation stands for Auxiliary Storage Pool
Control Program Facility External links:
CPF – Control Program Facility | AcronymFinder
CPF abbreviation stands for Control Program Facility
DOS/360 and successors External links:
DOS/360 and successors – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/DOS/360 and successors
IBM 4690 OS External links:
IBM 4690 OS Programming Guide Version 4 Release 1 …
IBM 4690 OS Messages Guide Version 4 Release 1 (SC30 …
[PDF]mode and power management IBM 4690 OS V6.2 …
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS External links:
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS | IT History Society
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/main/index.php?s=IBM 7090/94 IBSYS
IBM 7090/94 IBSYS – WOW.com
IBM 8100 DPCX External links:
IBM 8100 DPCX | IT History Society
IBM 8100 DPCX – WOW.com
IBM 8100 DPCX – theinfolist.com
IBM AIX External links:
CIS IBM AIX Benchmark – CIS Center for Internet Security
IBM AIX OS levels supported by XL Compilers – United States
IBM Airline Control Program External links:
IBM Airline Control Program – dictionary.sensagent.com
http://dictionary.sensagent.com/ibm airline control program/en-en
Ibm Airline Control Program – TheInfoList.com
http://theinfolist.com/php/HTMLGet.php?FindGo=Ibm Airline Control Program
IBM Airline Control Program – WOW.com
IBM DB2 External links:
IBM DB2 | FileMaker Community
IBM Db2 – Database software – IBM Analytics
IBM DB2 for z/OS. (eBook, 2015) [WorldCat.org]
IBM PC DOS External links:
IBM PC DOS Version 7
IBM PC DOS – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
IBM Power Systems External links:
COMMON – Your IBM Power Systems Users Group
IBM Power Systems & AS400 Hosting – Infor & High Availability
IBM Power Systems – cognitive computing with IBM …
IBM System/36 External links:
IBM System/36 Environment: Maximum Descriptions – …
IBM System/36 Environment and Printing – United States
IBM System/36 – Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core
IBM System/38 External links:
IBM System/38 Utilities for IBM i – United States
IBM system/38 : an auditors guide (Book, 1985) …
IBM System/38 Equipment and Programs – Classic …
IBM System i External links:
IBM System i | AS/400 ISeries
Solutions for IBM System i | Pinnacle
Configuring AS400 for emails | Ibm System I | Email
IBM Workplace OS External links:
IBM Workplace OS: Latest News & Videos, Photos about …
IBM Workplace OS – topics.revolvy.com
https://topics.revolvy.com/topic/IBM Workplace OS&item_type=topic
IBM Workplace OS – WOW.com
Logical partition External links:
What is logical partition (LPAR)? – Definition from WhatIs.com
Microsoft Windows External links:
Apps | Microsoft Windows 10 | Official Site
MySQL AB External links:
MySQL AB | Crunchbase
Allan Larsson, Co-Founder at MySQL AB – Relationship …
MySQL AB and IBM Announce Open Source Database Support …
OS/360 and successors External links:
OS/360 and successors – Local Business | Facebook
OS/360 and successors – 21pw.com
Operating system External links:
nCino Bank Operating System
Find Out Which Operating System Is on My Computer …
Operating System and Browser warning
Proprietary software External links:
Disadvantages of Proprietary Software | Chron.com
Chapter 8 – Open Source and Proprietary Software – YouTube
Software developer External links:
[PDF]Job Description for Software Developer. Title: …
Software Developer | CyberGrants
Title Software Developer Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com
Software license External links:
Legal – Software License Agreements – Apple
QuickBooks Terms of Service & Software License …
Microsoft Software License Terms
Software release life cycle External links:
Software Release Life Cycle – Quora
Skill Pages – Software release life cycle | Dice.com
Transaction Processing Facility External links:
IBM z/Transaction Processing Facility
Virtual machine External links:
Five Best Virtual Machine Applications
WebSphere Application Server External links:
WebSphere Application Server V22.214.171.124 – Welcome to Liberty
IBM WebSphere Application Server – Overview – United …
WebSphere Application Server Version V8.5 Liberty Profile
Web application framework External links:
Amber – Crystal Web Application Framework
Zend Technologies External links:
Zend Technologies | Headwaters MB
Zend Technologies USA. – MapQuest