What is involved in Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM
Find out what the related areas are that Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM related domains to cover and 146 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM, Data center infrastructure management, BMC Software, CA Technologies, Capacity planning, Cloud computing, Computational fluid dynamics, Critical Capabilities report, Data Center Energy Productivity, Data center, Data center infrastructure efficiency, Data center predictive modeling, Efficient energy use, Equinix, Facilities management, Gartner Research, Green IT, Hardware virtualization, Hewlett-Packard, IT infrastructure, Information technology, Magic Quadrant, Power usage effectiveness, Provisioning, Server, Tivoli Software:
Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM Critical Criteria:
Revitalize Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM issues and finalize specific methods for Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM acceptance.
– Think about the people you identified for your Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM project and the project responsibilities you would assign to them. what kind of training do you think they would need to perform these responsibilities effectively?
– To what extent does management recognize Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM as a tool to increase the results?
Data center infrastructure management Critical Criteria:
Mine Data center infrastructure management issues and remodel and develop an effective Data center infrastructure management strategy.
– Can we add value to the current Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM decision-making process (largely qualitative) by incorporating uncertainty modeling (more quantitative)?
– Do the Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
– Does our organization need more Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM education?
BMC Software Critical Criteria:
Start BMC Software quality and revise understanding of BMC Software architectures.
– Will Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
– How do we maintain Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIMs Integrity?
– How can we improve Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM?
CA Technologies Critical Criteria:
Closely inspect CA Technologies failures and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling CA Technologies projects.
– In the case of a Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM project, the criteria for the audit derive from implementation objectives. an audit of a Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM project involves assessing whether the recommendations outlined for implementation have been met. in other words, can we track that any Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM project is implemented as planned, and is it working?
– Risk factors: what are the characteristics of Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM that make it risky?
Capacity planning Critical Criteria:
X-ray Capacity planning quality and differentiate in coordinating Capacity planning.
– What are the disruptive Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM technologies that enable our organization to radically change our business processes?
– What sources do you use to gather information for a Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM study?
– What are some strategies for capacity planning for big data processing and cloud computing?
– Who sets the Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM standards?
Cloud computing Critical Criteria:
Inquire about Cloud computing failures and probe using an integrated framework to make sure Cloud computing is getting what it needs.
– Data classification: how sensitive is the data that will be placed in the cloud (e.g., confidential, critical, public) and what controls should be in place to ensure it is properly protected?
– Have you considered what measures you will need to implement to ensure that the cloud provider complies with all applicable federal, state, and local privacy laws, including ferpa?
– How can you start to build to a position of trust and risk management when setting up cloud computing for your organization?
– Is it more economical to move my existing datacenter-hosted service to the cloud, or to keep it in a datacenter?
– There are issues relating to policy and access. if your data is stored abroad whose policy do you adhere to?
– How will technology advancements in soa, virtualization and cloud computing further enable saas adoption?
– What makes cloud computing well suited for supply chain management applications?
– What are the ways in which cloud computing and big data can work together?
– Which cloud service model encompasses the complete cloud computing stack?
– Will Cloud Computing replace traditional dedicated server hosting?
– How will cloud computing affect traditional recovery services?
– Will cloud computing lead to a reduction in IT expenditure?
– Is cloud computing affecting traditional hardware vendors?
– What is the importance of standards-based cloud computing?
– What are some standards emerging around cloud computing?
– What is the first priority cloud security concern?
– Is there a market for developing niche clouds?
– Why is cloud security such a big challenge?
– Will cloud computing always lower costs?
– What happened to grid computing?
Computational fluid dynamics Critical Criteria:
Adapt Computational fluid dynamics failures and visualize why should people listen to you regarding Computational fluid dynamics.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
– How do you incorporate cycle time, productivity, cost control, and other efficiency and effectiveness factors into these Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM processes?
– Who will be responsible for deciding whether Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM goes ahead or not after the initial investigations?
Critical Capabilities report Critical Criteria:
Audit Critical Capabilities report tactics and ask what if.
– How important is Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM to the user organizations mission?
– Do Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM rules make a reasonable demand on a users capabilities?
Data Center Energy Productivity Critical Criteria:
Facilitate Data Center Energy Productivity governance and find the ideas you already have.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM moving forward?
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM project?
– What are the usability implications of Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM actions?
Data center Critical Criteria:
Think about Data center leadership and get answers.
– Fog Computing is internet computing where the devices responsible for the computing surround us. Instead of having a data center where all of the processing and storage occurs, fog computing would allow us to bring the devices closer to us and these devices would be responsible for their own processing and storage. So how does this concept help us deal with the problems created by the IoT, and what benefits would this provide us that upgrading the cloud infrastructure couldnt?
– Are we a listed company, if so ask ourselves this: Disaster recovery planning, or its lack, will affect a companys equity position. why buy stock in a company that will disappear should the data center go down?
– In a virtualized data center, guest operating system kernels were modified to eliminate the need for binary translation. which compute virtualization technique was used?
– An administrator of a virtualized data center is particularly concerned about nic failure. what should the administrator configure to address this concern?
– Determine if the data center has Service Level Agreements with the clients it serves. if so, do they measure themselves for compliance with the agreement?
– What are the specific security and integrity threats to cloud computing storage systems that do not exist in private data centers?
– In what ways are Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM vendors and us interacting to ensure safe and effective use?
– Do operating procedures require systems to undergo a security/vulnerability scan before being placed into production?
– Which report should an administrator use to know both historic and current utilization of storage in a data center?
– Which data center management activity involves eliminating single points of failure to ensure business continuity?
– Which applications are best suited for the internal data center, and which ones make sense for the public cloud?
– Do any countries force cloud based companies to house data within that countrys data centers?
– What is a benefit of automated site failover capability in a data center environment?
– Is stuff in the cloud on the same legal footing as stuff in your data center?
– What is the best strategy going forward for data center disaster recovery?
– How can the value of Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM be defined?
– How many and where are located the providers data centers?
– How much does Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM help?
Data center infrastructure efficiency Critical Criteria:
Wrangle Data center infrastructure efficiency management and oversee Data center infrastructure efficiency management by competencies.
– How can we incorporate support to ensure safe and effective use of Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM into the services that we provide?
– Does Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM systematically track and analyze outcomes for accountability and quality improvement?
– Have the types of risks that may impact Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM been identified and analyzed?
Data center predictive modeling Critical Criteria:
Boost Data center predictive modeling issues and describe which business rules are needed as Data center predictive modeling interface.
– What potential environmental factors impact the Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM effort?
– Is Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM Required?
Efficient energy use Critical Criteria:
Derive from Efficient energy use risks and simulate teachings and consultations on quality process improvement of Efficient energy use.
– Which Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM goals are the most important?
– What are internal and external Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM relations?
Equinix Critical Criteria:
Think about Equinix governance and innovate what needs to be done with Equinix.
– Do those selected for the Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM team have a good general understanding of what Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM is all about?
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM?
– What are the Key enablers to make this Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM move?
Facilities management Critical Criteria:
Ventilate your thoughts about Facilities management goals and grade techniques for implementing Facilities management controls.
Gartner Research Critical Criteria:
Align Gartner Research management and optimize Gartner Research leadership as a key to advancement.
– Do we monitor the Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM decisions made and fine tune them as they evolve?
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM requirements in detail?
– Does Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
Green IT Critical Criteria:
Exchange ideas about Green IT decisions and drive action.
– How likely is the current Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– What are specific Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM Rules to follow?
– Have we included Green IT goals in the defined service levels?
Hardware virtualization Critical Criteria:
Co-operate on Hardware virtualization leadership and create Hardware virtualization explanations for all managers.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM process?
– How does the organization define, manage, and improve its Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM processes?
– Why is Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM important for you now?
Hewlett-Packard Critical Criteria:
Devise Hewlett-Packard issues and find answers.
– How do we know that any Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM analysis is complete and comprehensive?
– How do we go about Securing Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM?
IT infrastructure Critical Criteria:
Track IT infrastructure governance and acquire concise IT infrastructure education.
– Can we achieve even more efficient utilization of software and hardware within mission systems and IT infrastructure investments?
– What IT infrastructure do we have and what do we need to support the future organization needs?
– In which area(s) do data integration and BI, as part of Fusion Middleware, help our IT infrastructure?
– How to get alignment between business strategy and IT infrastructure?
– How to deal with Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM Changes?
Information technology Critical Criteria:
Weigh in on Information technology management and find the essential reading for Information technology researchers.
– Does Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM analysis show the relationships among important Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM factors?
– Does your company have defined information technology risk performance metrics that are monitored and reported to management on a regular basis?
– Do the response plans address damage assessment, site restoration, payroll, Human Resources, information technology, and administrative support?
– If a survey was done with asking organizations; Is there a line between your information technology department and your information security department?
– How does new information technology come to be applied and diffused among firms?
– The difference between data/information and information technology (it)?
– When do you ask for help from Information Technology (IT)?
Magic Quadrant Critical Criteria:
Bootstrap Magic Quadrant visions and overcome Magic Quadrant skills and management ineffectiveness.
– What are the business goals Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM is aiming to achieve?
Power usage effectiveness Critical Criteria:
Give examples of Power usage effectiveness goals and find answers.
– Have all basic functions of Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM been defined?
– How to Secure Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM?
Provisioning Critical Criteria:
Audit Provisioning projects and secure Provisioning creativity.
– Are the SaaS provider capabilities sufficient to automate user provisioning and life cycle management without implementing a custom solution for the SaaS service?
– How can I automatically provision user accounts with cloud services and automate the process of provisoning and deprovisioning?
– Can your saas application provisioning system integrate with existing on-premise Identity and Access Management systems?
– Expose its policy engine via web services for use by third-party systems (e.g. provisioning, help desk solutions)?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM opportunities costing us money?
– Are user identities performing all of the functions granted to them through the provisioning process?
– Does a provisioning solution support integration with our on-premise identity repository?
– How will you measure your Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM effectiveness?
– What could europe gain by become a world leading trusted cloud region?
– Can Cloud processes or functions be manipulated by an outsider?
– How to extend current cluster services using cloud technology?
– Did you evaluate risks related to your cloud assets?
– Is the cloud provider ensuring where data is hosted?
– Encapsulating specific jurisdictional requirements?
– Are the on-premises solutions completely secure?
– Resource provisioning algos in cloud computing?
– Are hybrid clouds in our future?
– What is data, what is metadata?
– How to reboot?
Server Critical Criteria:
Set goals for Server visions and explain and analyze the challenges of Server.
– New objects as the plethora of different device types, devices, gateways and IoT platforms need to be maintained because they are decentralized trust servers of the organizations using them. Management and governance enables organizations to meet both compliance and business requirements. Will your IAM system handle the increased number of relationships between users, devices, services and policies?
– We keep records about our employees; partners and their employees from around the world. Records are stored on servers in the USA using SAP and Microsoft Cloud (not sure where these MS Cloud servers are located). What are our duties to protect data when servers are out of our reach?
– How to ensure high data availability in mobile computing environment where frequent disconnections may occur because the clients and server may be weakly connected?
– Monitor expense, resources used, reports, and understand how this is all working on the cloud. Compare with your old server environment. Is it what you expected?
– Does the tool we use have the ability to integrate with Enterprise Active Directory Servers to determine users and build user, role, and business unit policies?
– Which type of attack could enable the installation of a rogue hypervisor and take control of underlying server resources?
– Is there a virus scanner installed on all servers and on all workstations, and is the virus scanner regularly updated?
– What tier data server has been identified for the storage of decision support data contained in a data warehouse?
– Do you see regulatory restrictions on data/servers localisation requirements as obstacles for data-driven innovation?
– Is your organizations business affected by regulatory restrictions on data/servers localisation requirements?
– Do we know what we have specified in continuity of operations plans and disaster recovery plans?
– What is your approach to server analytics and community analytics for program measurement?
– Is anti-virus software installed on all computers/servers that connect to your network?
– How does a domain name server balance client traffic across a cluster of servers?
– What software, databases, servers, hardware, etc., are used by this service?
– Is our organization shifting towards virtualisation to reduce the number of servers?
– How many UNIX servers are there and what functions are they providing?
– What is a feature of dns server load balancing?
– Are you planning a large server migration?
– Is disaster recovery server in scope?
Tivoli Software Critical Criteria:
Scan Tivoli Software risks and handle a jump-start course to Tivoli Software.
– What is the total cost related to deploying Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM, including any consulting or professional services?
– How do we measure improved Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM service perception, and satisfaction?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Data Center Infrastructure Management DCIM Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Data center infrastructure management External links:
Pricing for Data Center Infrastructure Management …
BMC Software External links:
Remedy 9 – IT Service Management Suite – BMC Software
BMC Software Salaries | CareerBliss
BMC Software, Inc. (eJournal / eMagazine, 2000s) …
CA Technologies External links:
Anna Xanthos, CA Technologies | Working Mother
CA Technologies – Home | Facebook
CA Technologies, Best Companies | Working Mother
Capacity planning External links:
Capacity Planning for Computer Systems – ScienceDirect
Capacity planning for Azure Search | Microsoft Docs
Capacity planning | Microsoft Docs
Cloud computing External links:
Compliant Cloud Computing Simplified – Lumen21
CRM Software & Cloud Computing Solutions – Salesforce UK
Microsoft Azure Cloud Computing Platform & Services
Computational fluid dynamics External links:
[PDF]Computational Fluid Dynamics – nd.edu
Computational fluid dynamics (Book, 2010) [WorldCat.org]
Computational Fluid Dynamics – intechopen.com
Critical Capabilities report External links:
AppNeta Soars in Gartner 2016 Critical Capabilities Report
Data Center Energy Productivity External links:
Implementing the data center energy productivity metric
DCEP: Data Center Energy Productivity – 42U
Implementing the Data Center Energy Productivity Metric …
Data center External links:
CIO.gov – Data Center Optimization Initiative (DCOI)
Defense Manpower Data Center – PSA Division
Race and Ethnicity Classifications — State Data Center
Data center infrastructure efficiency External links:
Data Center Infrastructure Efficiency | Vertatique
Data Center Infrastructure Efficiency (DCIE) is one of the popular performance improvement metrics used to calculate the energy or power efficiency of a datacenter.
Data center predictive modeling External links:
Data Center Predictive Modeling | Technology Connection
[PDF]Data Center Predictive Modeling – cfroundtable.org
Data Center Predictive Modeling Maintenance – YouTube
Efficient energy use External links:
IRWD Lauded for Efficient Energy Use
Efficient energy use through Eco Smart by Plantation …
Efficient Energy Use | The Costa Rica News
Equinix External links:
Equinix, Inc. – Home | Facebook
EQIX Equinix Inc XNAS:EQIX Stock Quote Price News
Facilities management External links:
Office of Construction & Facilities Management
Computer Aided Facilities Management : CAFM – 1
Facilities Management – University of Arizona
Gartner Research External links:
SaaS – Software As A Service – Free Gartner Research
Gartner Research – AITS
Green IT External links:
Visit The Home Depot to buy Green it Organic Lawn in a Box 270
Green IT – TechBlog
IT infrastructure External links:
What is IT Infrastructure? – Definition from Techopedia
Information technology External links:
OHIO: Office of Information Technology |About Email
Magic Quadrant External links:
Zoom – A Leader in Gartner Magic Quadrant
Gartner SIEM Magic Quadrant | Splunk
2017 Gartner Magic Quadrant for CRM Lead Management
Power usage effectiveness External links:
Power Usage Effectiveness – PUE – Data Clean
Power Usage Effectiveness | Energy Smarts
Power usage effectiveness in data centers: overloaded …
Provisioning External links:
What does initial provisioning mean? – Definitions.net
[PDF]INITIAL PROVISIONING AND SPARE PARTS …
Server External links:
Welcome to GoSOLAR — Oracle Fusion Middleware — Server-9
WSO2 Identity Server – Virginia Community College System
Tivoli Software External links:
IBM – Tivoli Software – CDW•G
IBM – Tivoli Software – CDW