What is involved in Commercial off-the-shelf
Find out what the related areas are that Commercial off-the-shelf connects with, associates with, correlates with or affects, and which require thought, deliberation, analysis, review and discussion. This unique checklist stands out in a sense that it is not per-se designed to give answers, but to engage the reader and lay out a Commercial off-the-shelf thinking-frame.
How far is your company on its Commercial off-the-shelf journey?
Take this short survey to gauge your organization’s progress toward Commercial off-the-shelf leadership. Learn your strongest and weakest areas, and what you can do now to create a strategy that delivers results.
To address the criteria in this checklist for your organization, extensive selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information.
Start the Checklist
Below you will find a quick checklist designed to help you think about which Commercial off-the-shelf related domains to cover and 106 essential critical questions to check off in that domain.
The following domains are covered:
Commercial off-the-shelf, Commercial software, Commodity off-the-shelf, Competitive procurement, Creeping featurism, Custom software, Federal Acquisition Regulation, Federal government of the United States, Government off-the-shelf, IEC 62304, Independent software vendor, Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor, Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II, Medical device, Non-recurring engineering, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 3 cluster, Rube Goldberg machine, SANS Institute, Software development, Software development process, Software of unknown pedigree, Sole source, Sony Computer Entertainment, Spare part, Supply chain cyber security, US Air Force, United States Department of Homeland Security, Vendor lock-in:
Commercial off-the-shelf Critical Criteria:
Chart Commercial off-the-shelf planning and find out.
– Is sufficient schedule time allocated to allow for dependencies on commercial off-the-shelf cots product deliveries?
– What role does communication play in the success or failure of a Commercial off-the-shelf project?
– What are all of our Commercial off-the-shelf domains and what do they do?
– How do we maintain Commercial off-the-shelfs Integrity?
Commercial software Critical Criteria:
Study Commercial software goals and optimize Commercial software leadership as a key to advancement.
– Does Commercial off-the-shelf include applications and information with regulatory compliance significance (or other contractual conditions that must be formally complied with) in a new or unique manner for which no approved security requirements, templates or design models exist?
– How much does Commercial off-the-shelf help?
– What is Effective Commercial off-the-shelf?
Commodity off-the-shelf Critical Criteria:
See the value of Commodity off-the-shelf risks and know what your objective is.
– Do we aggressively reward and promote the people who have the biggest impact on creating excellent Commercial off-the-shelf services/products?
– What tools do you use once you have decided on a Commercial off-the-shelf strategy and more importantly how do you choose?
– Does the Commercial off-the-shelf task fit the clients priorities?
Competitive procurement Critical Criteria:
Steer Competitive procurement quality and look in other fields.
– How will you know that the Commercial off-the-shelf project has been successful?
– How will you measure your Commercial off-the-shelf effectiveness?
Creeping featurism Critical Criteria:
Audit Creeping featurism planning and proactively manage Creeping featurism risks.
– How likely is the current Commercial off-the-shelf plan to come in on schedule or on budget?
– Meeting the challenge: are missed Commercial off-the-shelf opportunities costing us money?
– Will Commercial off-the-shelf deliverables need to be tested and, if so, by whom?
Custom software Critical Criteria:
Concentrate on Custom software issues and find out.
– Does Commercial off-the-shelf analysis show the relationships among important Commercial off-the-shelf factors?
– How do we go about Comparing Commercial off-the-shelf approaches/solutions?
– What are the short and long-term Commercial off-the-shelf goals?
Federal Acquisition Regulation Critical Criteria:
Unify Federal Acquisition Regulation adoptions and grade techniques for implementing Federal Acquisition Regulation controls.
– What are the key elements of your Commercial off-the-shelf performance improvement system, including your evaluation, organizational learning, and innovation processes?
– To what extent does management recognize Commercial off-the-shelf as a tool to increase the results?
– Have you identified your Commercial off-the-shelf key performance indicators?
Federal government of the United States Critical Criteria:
Collaborate on Federal government of the United States governance and look for lots of ideas.
– What other jobs or tasks affect the performance of the steps in the Commercial off-the-shelf process?
– Are we making progress? and are we making progress as Commercial off-the-shelf leaders?
– What are the Essentials of Internal Commercial off-the-shelf Management?
Government off-the-shelf Critical Criteria:
Merge Government off-the-shelf results and report on setting up Government off-the-shelf without losing ground.
– Does Commercial off-the-shelf analysis isolate the fundamental causes of problems?
– What is our formula for success in Commercial off-the-shelf ?
– How would one define Commercial off-the-shelf leadership?
IEC 62304 Critical Criteria:
Paraphrase IEC 62304 adoptions and probe IEC 62304 strategic alliances.
– How do you determine the key elements that affect Commercial off-the-shelf workforce satisfaction? how are these elements determined for different workforce groups and segments?
Independent software vendor Critical Criteria:
Confer over Independent software vendor projects and get the big picture.
– What will be the consequences to the business (financial, reputation etc) if Commercial off-the-shelf does not go ahead or fails to deliver the objectives?
– Are there Commercial off-the-shelf problems defined?
Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor Critical Criteria:
Study Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor projects and probe Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor strategic alliances.
– Who is the main stakeholder, with ultimate responsibility for driving Commercial off-the-shelf forward?
– Which Commercial off-the-shelf goals are the most important?
– How do we Lead with Commercial off-the-shelf in Mind?
Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II Critical Criteria:
Have a session on Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II planning and secure Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II creativity.
– Who will be responsible for documenting the Commercial off-the-shelf requirements in detail?
– Do we all define Commercial off-the-shelf in the same way?
Medical device Critical Criteria:
Learn from Medical device projects and point out improvements in Medical device.
– How will we insure seamless interoperability of Commercial off-the-shelf moving forward?
– Think of your Commercial off-the-shelf project. what are the main functions?
– Are accountability and ownership for Commercial off-the-shelf clearly defined?
Non-recurring engineering Critical Criteria:
Debate over Non-recurring engineering engagements and look at it backwards.
– Is maximizing Commercial off-the-shelf protection the same as minimizing Commercial off-the-shelf loss?
– Is the Commercial off-the-shelf organization completing tasks effectively and efficiently?
– How do we measure improved Commercial off-the-shelf service perception, and satisfaction?
PlayStation 3 Critical Criteria:
Systematize PlayStation 3 goals and learn.
– For your Commercial off-the-shelf project, identify and describe the business environment. is there more than one layer to the business environment?
– Do several people in different organizational units assist with the Commercial off-the-shelf process?
– How can we improve Commercial off-the-shelf?
PlayStation 3 cluster Critical Criteria:
Model after PlayStation 3 cluster goals and triple focus on important concepts of PlayStation 3 cluster relationship management.
– Do we have past Commercial off-the-shelf Successes?
Rube Goldberg machine Critical Criteria:
Drive Rube Goldberg machine risks and get answers.
– Marketing budgets are tighter, consumers are more skeptical, and social media has changed forever the way we talk about Commercial off-the-shelf. How do we gain traction?
– How important is Commercial off-the-shelf to the user organizations mission?
– How do we manage Commercial off-the-shelf Knowledge Management (KM)?
SANS Institute Critical Criteria:
Participate in SANS Institute decisions and achieve a single SANS Institute view and bringing data together.
– What are our best practices for minimizing Commercial off-the-shelf project risk, while demonstrating incremental value and quick wins throughout the Commercial off-the-shelf project lifecycle?
– Do the Commercial off-the-shelf decisions we make today help people and the planet tomorrow?
Software development Critical Criteria:
Participate in Software development leadership and inform on and uncover unspoken needs and breakthrough Software development results.
– Management buy-in is a concern. Many program managers are worried that upper-level management would ask for progress reports and productivity metrics that would be hard to gather in an Agile work environment. Management ignorance of Agile methodologies is also a worry. Will Agile advantages be able to overcome the well-known existing problems in software development?
– With this new, full-stack approach to software delivery comes new opportunity for delay. DevOps was developed as a reaction to the long lead times required for infrastructure provisioning and integration with bureaucracy-laden ITIL processes. But what are these new sources of delay in the software development lifecycle?
– Much of the agile advice is oriented towards small teams of up to ten people, who are either co-located or near located, who have ready access to their primary stakeholders, and who are working on software that can be easily organized into a series of small releases. What about large teams?
– Could Agile Manifesto and agile methods be a good starting point for the corporate venture to start their development effort towards their own, efficient agile in-house software development method?
– What if your business needs are still emerging and certain aspects of the system are rapidly changing or cannot be defined yet?
– How do scaling issues affect the manner in which you fulfill your goal of identifying your initial scope?
– Will Agile advantages be able to overcome the well-known existing problems in software development?
– Do not ISO 9000 and CMM certifications loose their meaning when applied to the software industry?
– Is our organization clear about the relationship between agile software development and DevOps?
– What kind of enabling and limiting factors can be found for the use of agile methods?
– What if any is the difference between Lean and Agile Software Development?
– Do we ask in the sprint retrospective: What went well during the sprint?
– Should you have a strict project sequence, or should you be flexible?
– How Extreme Does Extreme Programming Have to Be?
– What have you completed since yesterday?
– How do Agile projects prioritize work?
– Any impediments/stumbling blocks?
– Heritage of traditional methods?
– What Is Extreme Programming?
– What about large teams?
Software development process Critical Criteria:
Grade Software development process planning and innovate what needs to be done with Software development process.
– Where does User Experience come from, what does it add to the software development process and what methods are available?
– What is the total cost related to deploying Commercial off-the-shelf, including any consulting or professional services?
– Do you monitor the effectiveness of your Commercial off-the-shelf activities?
– Have all basic functions of Commercial off-the-shelf been defined?
Software of unknown pedigree Critical Criteria:
Analyze Software of unknown pedigree tactics and oversee Software of unknown pedigree requirements.
– Do we cover the five essential competencies-Communication, Collaboration,Innovation, Adaptability, and Leadership that improve an organizations ability to leverage the new Commercial off-the-shelf in a volatile global economy?
– Where do ideas that reach policy makers and planners as proposals for Commercial off-the-shelf strengthening and reform actually originate?
Sole source Critical Criteria:
Debate over Sole source tactics and point out Sole source tensions in leadership.
– Who needs to know about Commercial off-the-shelf ?
Sony Computer Entertainment Critical Criteria:
Track Sony Computer Entertainment engagements and be persistent.
– Who is responsible for ensuring appropriate resources (time, people and money) are allocated to Commercial off-the-shelf?
– What is our Commercial off-the-shelf Strategy?
Spare part Critical Criteria:
Depict Spare part adoptions and ask questions.
– What may be the consequences for the performance of an organization if all stakeholders are not consulted regarding Commercial off-the-shelf?
– Why is it important to have senior management support for a Commercial off-the-shelf project?
Supply chain cyber security Critical Criteria:
Probe Supply chain cyber security governance and suggest using storytelling to create more compelling Supply chain cyber security projects.
– What tools and technologies are needed for a custom Commercial off-the-shelf project?
US Air Force Critical Criteria:
Add value to US Air Force projects and be persistent.
– Are there Commercial off-the-shelf Models?
United States Department of Homeland Security Critical Criteria:
Be responsible for United States Department of Homeland Security issues and clarify ways to gain access to competitive United States Department of Homeland Security services.
– Record-keeping requirements flow from the records needed as inputs, outputs, controls and for transformation of a Commercial off-the-shelf process. ask yourself: are the records needed as inputs to the Commercial off-the-shelf process available?
– Consider your own Commercial off-the-shelf project. what types of organizational problems do you think might be causing or affecting your problem, based on the work done so far?
Vendor lock-in Critical Criteria:
Steer Vendor lock-in issues and define Vendor lock-in competency-based leadership.
– What should an organization consider before migrating its applications and operating system to the public cloud to prevent vendor lock-in?
– How do mission and objectives affect the Commercial off-the-shelf processes of our organization?
– Do you see areas in your domain or across domains where vendor lock-in is a potential risk?
– What is an example of cloud vendor lock-in?
This quick readiness checklist is a selected resource to help you move forward. Learn more about how to achieve comprehensive insights with the Commercial off-the-shelf Self Assessment:
Author: Gerard Blokdijk
CEO at The Art of Service | http://theartofservice.com
Gerard is the CEO at The Art of Service. He has been providing information technology insights, talks, tools and products to organizations in a wide range of industries for over 25 years. Gerard is a widely recognized and respected information expert. Gerard founded The Art of Service consulting business in 2000. Gerard has authored numerous published books to date.
To address the criteria in this checklist, these selected resources are provided for sources of further research and information:
Commercial off-the-shelf External links:
What is Commercial Off-The-Shelf (COTS)? Webopedia Definition
COMMERCIAL OFF-THE-SHELF (COTS)
COTS Commercial Off-The-Shelf – ALTER TECHNOLOGY
Commercial software External links:
33HOPS | Commercial software
Using LGPL in commercial software — Medialooks
Newtonsoft Commercial Software License – Newtonsoft
Commodity off-the-shelf External links:
Commodity Off-The-Shelf Technology
Competitive procurement External links:
Competitive Procurement Evaluation Handbook by TBRHSC – …
Competitive Procurement of Legal Services – Governor Tom Wolf
Corruption-proof Contracts in Competitive Procurement
Creeping featurism External links:
creeping featurism – catb.org
creeping featurism – Wiktionary
VDict – Definition of creeping featurism
Custom software External links:
About us | Intergy | Custom Software Development | Sydney
Custom Software Development Company Melbourne – TatvaSoft
Custom Software Development Company Brisbane | Data In Motion
Federal Acquisition Regulation External links:
Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement
Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) | Acquisition.GOV
Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation Supplement
Federal government of the United States External links:
Federal government of the United States – YouTube
Government off-the-shelf External links:
Government off-the-shelf – Free definitions by Babylon
GOTS abbreviation stands for Government off-the-shelf
Government off-the-shelf – WOW.com
IEC 62304 External links:
Checklist for IEC 62304:2006 – Sample Pages
IEC 62304 | Vector Software
Polarion ALM MedPack – IEC 62304 – Polarion Extensions
Independent software vendor External links:
Become an Acumatica’s Independent Software Vendor
ISV (independent software vendor) – Gartner IT Glossary
Independent Software Vendor (ISV) Partners | Five9
Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor External links:
Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor. – Home | Facebook
Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor – MILAVIA.net
Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor in HD – YouTube
Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II External links:
Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II JSF by RockMonsterNo1
Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II 3D model – Hum3D
Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II wallpapers – wallhaven.cc
Medical device External links:
Medical Device Incident Reports
Careers| Innovative Medical Device Company | AirXpanders
Xodus Medical – A Leader in Medical Device Solutions
Non-recurring engineering External links:
Non-recurring engineering – YouTube
NRE abbreviation stands for Non-recurring engineering
Non-Recurring Engineering (NRE) and Tooling Costs
PlayStation 3 External links:
PlayStation 3 Video Games – Official EA Site
Rent Deadpool on PlayStation 3 – gamefly.com
Best PlayStation 3 Video Games of All Time – Metacritic
PlayStation 3 cluster External links:
PlayStation 3 cluster – Revolvy
https://update.revolvy.com/topic/PlayStation 3 cluster
PlayStation 3 cluster – Search Engine
PlayStation 3 cluster | AskJot
Rube Goldberg machine External links:
Rube Goldberg Machine – STEM – jacobjossart.weebly.com
Physics of a Rube Goldberg Machine by Ben Marston on Prezi
Rube Goldberg Machine – Lara Glendening San marin
SANS Institute External links:
Information Security Training: By Location – SANS Institute
SANS Institute, EMEA (@SANSEMEA) | Twitter
SANS Institute (@SANSInstitute) | Twitter
Software development External links:
Enable — Bespoke Software Development
Salesforce Implementation and Custom Software Development …
Software Development Company | Synotive
Software development process External links:
What is Google’s software development process? – Quora
CSE2305 Topic 13: The Software Development Process
Evolution of Software Development Process Models
Software of unknown pedigree External links:
Software of unknown pedigree – Revolvy
https://www.revolvy.com/topic/Software of unknown pedigree
Making Sense of Software of Unknown Pedigree SOUP 開発経 …
Software of unknown pedigree – pluto.revolvy.com
https://pluto.revolvy.com/topic/Software of unknown pedigree
Sole source External links:
SOLE SOURCE REQUEST – University of Rhode Island
Sole source justification by Robert Ferrand – issuu
Team – Sole Source Capital
Sony Computer Entertainment External links:
SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT EUROPELIMITED – issuu
Sony Computer Entertainment/PlayStation on Scratch
SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT SETS NEW PRICE FOR …
Spare part External links:
Find A Spare Part | Brivis Australia
Tanfoglio Australia – Tanfoglio Spare Part
Accessories and Spare Part for Ninebot by Segway Products
Supply chain cyber security External links:
The Third Party & Supply Chain Cyber Security Summit 2017
Supply Chain Cyber Security Risks Rising – Enterra Solutions
Thales and Supply Chain Cyber Security | Thales Group
US Air Force External links:
F-15B/D Eagle Israeli Air Force & US Air Force(2in1)retooled
SUPER ADVANCED US Air Force B-2 stealth bomber – YouTube
Ynetnews Jewish Scene – Female rabbi joins US Air Force
United States Department of Homeland Security External links:
United States Department of Homeland Security – ROBLOX
Vendor lock-in External links:
Vendor lock-in – WOW.com
Avoiding Vendor Lock-In – My Learning Space
What Is Software Vendor Lock-In? (And How to Avoid It)